Governor Roel Degamo along with his case would proceed trial for the unauthorized usage pf Php 143 million calamity funds. The calamity funds were used for ‘repair’ on the earthquake and typhoon back in 2012.
Special Third Division of the anti-graft court rejected Degamo’s plea towards the charges for the Office of the Ombudsman’s alleged inordinate conduction of a preliminary investigation and the filing of the case against the governor. It is said that the Ombudsman started compiling the complaint in October 29, 2013, but did not reach court until August 3, 2016. The resolution composed of 34-pages were released on July 13.
Sandiganbayan involved officials
The Provincial Legal Officer Officer-in-Charge Richard Enojo, Provincial Treasurer Danilo Mendez and Provincial Accountant Teodorico Reyes were stopped by the same 34-page resolution. Violating Section 3(e) of the Anto-Graft, Corrupt Practices Act and 11 counts of malvesrsation through falsification, these three government officials will be joining Govern Roel Degamo very soon in trials.
“Uniqueness of Case”
The court’s resolution said that it cannot be denied that the Office of the Ombudsman needed time to thoroughly review and evaluate the bases of the complaint. The separate appeal (from January 24 resolution) was junked by the court denying early motion for judicial determination of probable cause. The accused may have been “guilty” of the said charges and should be put to trial as soon as possible.
Earlier this month, Governor Lost in Libel Case against Radio Broadcast in which the said ‘calamity funds’ and ‘corruption’ were already mentioned.