The Cyber Security Forum was held with the coordination of the City Peace and Order Council in Dumaguete City last November 10, 2017, at the Luce Auditorium of Silliman University. This forum revolved around the causes and preventions of the cybercrimes in the Philippines and the world.
What is Cybercrime?
According to the Republic Act No. 10175 of the Philippines Law, Cybercrime is the illegal concern revolving on the internet or any online, networking data. For simpler examples of offense includes cybersquatting, identity theft, libel, cybersex, child pornography, sexual cyber exploitation, illegal access to data and personal data.
The Cyber Security Forum was attended by the students from the different colleges in Dumaguete, barangay representatives, Department of Education (DepEd) staff and other public officers who may be concerned with the topic. The colleges and universities who attended were Silliman University, Systems Technology Institute (STI) Dumaguete, AMA, Colegio de Santa Catalina de Alejandria (COSCA) and the Negros Oriental State University among the rest.
Ways to Prevent Cybercrime
- Install anti-virus on your gadgets and devices
- Install filters and rules for incoming messages and items
- Check if the links sent to you are safe
- “HTTPS” sites are much safer than “HTTP” sites
- Keep personal information to yourself (name, address, bank account, tin codes, inscriptions and etc.)
What to Do When Encountering Cybercrime?
- Contact any government agency for assistance
- PNP – Philippine National Police
- NBI – National Bureau of Investigation
- DoJ – Department of Justice
- Contact Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center
After the Cyber Security Forum, questions followed from the different students, faculty, and representative who attended.