In celebration of today’s international World Environment Day, Dumaguete city will be implementing the strict ban of plastic through a “Beat Plastic Pollution” movement around the city. World Environment Day is held every year on the 5th of June.
World Environment Day
In 1974, the first World Environment Day was held through a flag raising that was mainly to encourage and raise awareness of overcoming environmental issues all over the world. An awareness that would tackle issues such as marine pollution, plastic, air, and land pollution and even global warming.
Dumaguete City to “Beat Plastic Pollution”
There is no doubt that waste and plastic production have been increasing rapidly. We use plastic every day from grocery shopping to garbage disposal, take-out meals, packed meals, school and office supplies and so much more. Plastics aren’t the main problem if the people are responsible in properly disposing and recycling them. Without proper care and recycling, plastic pollutes the land making it hard for plants to grow. The “Beat Plastic Pollution” will be a program that will not only help reduce plastic but also give a healthier plastic-free lifestyle.
Ways to Reduce Plastic in Our Society:
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants.
- Use a reusable produce bag. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade. Purchase or make your own reusable produce bag and be sure to wash them often.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of bottled water for drinking. Carry a refillable water jug.
- Avoid buying frozen foods because their packaging is mostly plastic. Even those that appear to be cardboard are coated with a thin layer of plastic. Plus, you’ll be eating fewer processed foods!
- Don’t use plastic ware at home and request restaurants not pack them in your take-out box.
If you are using a razor to shave, use a razor with replaceable blades instead of a disposable one.