After the restoration of the San Isidro Labrador Parish in Lazi, Siquijor, the National Historical Commission (NHC) handed the convent back to the town of Siquijor. Since Siquijor is under the Diocese of Dumaguete, the island-province of Siquijor was restored with the help of Mon seigneur Julius Perpetuo Heruela who was assigned by Bishop Julito Coretes of Dumaguete in the restoration project.
San Isidro Labrador Parish in Lazi
The San Isidro Labrador Parish is also famously known as the Lazi Convent. It is dubbed as one of the oldest and largest convent in the island of Siquijor. Back in 1884, the convent was built, while the church was built out of coral stones and hard wood in 1887 the construction began and was completed back in 1891 under the directory of Recollect Priest Father Toribio Sánchez.
The cutting of ribbon was formally done by Bishop Julito Cortes and NHC Executive Director Ludovico Badoy. The formal turnover of the convent was witnessed by Mon seigneur Julius Perpetuo Heruela, parish priest of San Isidro Labrador, local officials, and other religious heads.
The reconstruction of the two-story Lazi Convent costs a good amount of Php 20, 000, 000 (20 million pesos) through the help of NHC in preservation of historical and heritage site across the Philippines. San Isidro Labrador Parish in Lazi was nominated for the UNESCO World Heritage preliminary list since 2006. Under the collection of Baroque Churches of the Philippines (Extension) along with the churches from Guiuan, Boljoon, Tumauini and Loboc.