There have been a few accusations that the city government office does not take care of the Dumaguete Frontliners. According to the new Committee on Health Chairperson, Councilor Manuel “Chaco” Sagarbarria, stated that the frontliners in the city are getting hazard pay, medical assistance, and meals!
Who are our Dumaguete Frontliners?
Who are frontliners and who are not? These are the following sectors/departments considered as FRONTLINERS at the Local Government Unit of Dumaguete City. (This is not yet the complete list of the considered frontliners.)
- Barangay Health Worker (BHW)
- Contact tracers (some are DILG paid)
- Med Tech
- Sanitary Inspector/office
- Fire Department
- Staff of City Disaster Office
- Staff of City Health office
- Staff of Tourism office
- Most recently Social Workers / DSWD
- B.H.E.R.T.S – Barangay Health Emergency Response Teams
There have been accusations that Dumaguete City does not take care of its Frontliners. As the new chairman on Health, I went to talk to Dra. Talla and got to the bottom of this accusations,” said Councilor “Chaco” Sagarbarria.
The composition of this team is HUGE! From Barangay Captains, Officials to Tanods to purok chairman. Basically, the frontliners are made from the Barangay’s choice. There is no limit to who the frontliners are according to the city government office as long as they are active and hardworking.
Given Benefits of Frontliners in Dumaguete City:
- Frontliners that are paid by the city (including JO), should have received a one-time Hazard pay last year for their service during the ECQ lockdown.
- Casual or Regular worker, with a Salary Grade is 19 and below, will get a Hazard Pay monthly (equivalent to 25% of their salary).
- If a frontliner gets quarantined, he or she is not considered absent but “Leave with Pay”. This means if they are quarantined for 14 days, they are still paid 14 days.
- If a frontliner is tested positive from the coronavirus disease or COVID-19, his or her hospitalization bill will be mostly covered by PhilHealth, however, they will get a special rate/coverage. Financial assistance will be given by the city as well.
- Once they are tested positive and are in quarantine facilities, the family of a frontliner is entitled to food packs from the city.
- City frontliners also have 12 hotel rooms to use as accommodation for changing, to rest, or to stay in if when they feel tired. FREE of charge.
As of now, no frontliner has complained directly to the city health office. With asking around, no frontliner has complained about the accommodation and how the city health office treats them. The only complaints I heard was the salary disparity between the JO against the casual and Regular.
However, according the city government this is not their office’s problem, but a National Mandate. It is something beyond the scope of councilors, ITS CALLED PS LIMITATION.