A controversy arose to the topic of Boracay Closure to either open earlier than 6 months or to extend after 6 months. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Roy Cimatu said last May 26, 2018, that there is a good possibility that Boracay will open earlier than the given six months’ time. Recently this week a Negros Oriental Representative Arnolfo Teves says Boracay should not reopen until everything is fixed.
Boracay Reopens Early
According to the new on May, Boracay Island will be opened earlier than the given six months for clean up and sewage installing. Boracay is one of the top tourist destinations in the Philippines for several years and has not been properly cleaned since it opened. It generates about 90 to 115 tons of garbage daily and only 30 tons are allowed to be removed.
About 100 trainees from the 3rd Infantry Division of the Philippines Army went to Boracay last May to help in the sewage and clean up the island and the excavating of illegal pipes along the 4.5-kilometer White Sand Beach. It happens that 16 establishments were discovered to have installed their own pipes, which flush wastes directly under the beachfront.
Expect Further Closure?
Earlier this week a Negros Oriental Representative, Arnolfo Teves, strongly said that “I don’t care if it will last two years. Do not open Boracay unless everything is finished.”
According to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, around 12,500 people are allowed to swim in the island, with each person having an area of at least 15 square meters. This is the preliminary findings as the resolution to the determination of capacity the island can hold.
Unless we know (the carrying capacity), we cannot move forward,” Negros Oriental Representative Arnolfo Teves said.